Thursday, February 17, 2011

My Sweet Second Valentine's

Yet again as those good, tradition abiding single ladies out there go forth to throw their contact etched oranges into their water-containment-source-of-choice (be it river, lake, drain or perhaps the unfortunate home aquarium) in their hope and search of love this Chap Goh Mei, I walk down to the nearby mamak; capturing only the uncomforting stare of the wide-eyed moon.

Alone.


Okay, the title was a lie and I'm not complaining la, considering the fact that my love life has been idle for... All my life, pretty much. This second Valentine's has just led my thoughts to wander.

So the first time round, the idea was to spend the day with the dearest single college buddies with sob-worthy, mushy movies and wrap it all up with a pillow talk session. Which then evolved and resulted into a date with Weiler: a FOREVER ALONE polaroid to commemorate the day as well as spoiling ourselves with delectable deserts from Honeymoon. Oh well. What's life without it's twists and turns, eh? ;D

Anyway, that's beside the point.
What I query about is what Valentine's really is all about.

Sure, the celebration is simple enough.
For the couples; dates, hearts, chocolates and an extremely well-planned, romance oozing date to make the day perfect.
For the singular; depression, jealousy, Forever Alone whinings about Single Awareness Day or the 'I-don't-give-two-shits-so-I'll-insertnormaldayactivitiehere'.
Flowers all around, pink, red, white.
Flirting, infatuation, jealousy, depression.

But.
Has everyone forgot?
About how the main theme of this story is love?
Love not only for those with their special someone, but for themselves, family, friends, strangers... Humanity? Nature? LIFE?

Why only find a certain day that we should express our love by organizing extraordinary, bombastic expressions of love when we can do it anytime?
Not that I'm saying that's wrong, oh no, I'd be extremely touched for all the time and effort into the careful planning. It's just that maybe, just maybe, sometimes people tend to forget them littler things that could be done every day.
Hugs and kisses, words of affirmation. Appreciation.

So. My final conclusion?
OKAY LAH, OKAY LAH, I'm just trying to comfort myself because I don't want to end with my 27 cats only, okay? I really don't. LOL.

So all you single people out there, may your imaginary oranges remind you that love isn't only for that special someone okay... You're not alone, you're just not attached... Yet :D



Happy Chap Goh Mei, Second Valentine's Day and Last Day of Chinese New Year everybody :)

0 comments: